This EAL qualification complies with the latest version of the in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment 5th Edition.
This is a popular 2 day course. This award gives the learner an understanding of the theory and practice of the in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment; commonly referred to as PAT testing (Portable Appliance Testing).
In the UK it is a legal requirement that all commercially used electrical equipment is fully tested and certified for safety purposes. This is an ideal qualification for electricians wishing to offer another service and for those who wish to carry out formal visual inspections and inspections and tests of electrical equipment and who need to PAT test equipment for their company, such as caretakers and building service operatives.
On completion of this course candidates will have obtained an EAL Level 3 Award in the In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT) which will enable them to test portable equipment for electrical safety whether it be within their working environment or to add another service to their business.
This course is delivered over 2 days and is carried out in accordance with the Industry recognised IET Code of Practice 5th Edition published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology. The course includes advice on the new risk based approach to PAT testing. This course helps health and safety Managers ensure that PAT testers understand the theory and practical aspects of testing portable electrical appliances safely. This course includes practical sessions where candidates can inspect and PAT test a variety of portable electrical appliances including office and IT equipment, 230V and 110V power tools, IEC and extension leads and 400V 3 phase equipment.
The course content covers the following areas:
- The legal requirement to test
- Construction and Class of equipment
- Safety risks and typical faults
- Frequency of inspection and testing
- Fuse ratings and visual inspection
- Earth bond and insulation tests
- Earth leakage, touch current and load testing
- When does HV flash testing apply
- Understanding the requirements of testing different types of equipment
- Practical sessions in testing different types and voltage of equipment
- Pass and fail labelling requirements
- Maintaining records and results
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification if you are an experienced electrician or have electrical/electronic knowledge.
Entry requirements if you have little or no basic electrical knowledge, we would advise attending the Basic Electrics and Safe Isolation course prior to attending the PAT Testing course.
The learner will require the following book and equipment:-
- IET Code of Practice for in-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment – 5th Edition
- Scientific Calculator
- EAL Level 3 Award in the In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment – 5th Edition
- Qualification Code: 600/4340/4
Who Supports this Qualification?
This qualification is accredited by Ofqual at Level 3
This qualification is recognised by industry and was developed in conjunction with the IET, NICEIC, ECA and Summit Skills
Dates and Times
PORTABLE APPLIANCE TESTING (PAT)
COURSE DATES & TIMES:
- To be confirmed
Please call our office 01522 253250 for more information